I was nominated by Delphine @ Delphine the Babbler to do another round of The Sunshine Blogger Award. It’s been about a month and I’ve finally answered her questions. Thank you so much for the nomination Delphine! I had a great time answering your questions!
Here’s what’s going on with this award, this time around!
- Thank your nominator and link back to their blog
- Answer the biographical 11 questions your nominator decides to pose
- Do the same by nominating 11 bloggers whom you adore and use the strength left in your giganto imagination to ask 11 new questions
- List the rules and pass the Sunshine Blogger Award onto your blog
1. What top 3 songs (please provide links) do you feel describes your life in a nutshell?
You know, I actually had to put a playlist together for my Spanish midterm junior year of high school. I can’t remember a single song I picked though, so this is what I’ve come up with several years later.
2. When you go to your local cafe on a Saturday afternoon with a date, what do you order?
I would probably just get a coffee, or maybe a tea if I don’t want caffeine or just don’t feel like coffee.If the cafe serves food, I am probably ordering a savory crepe or something that involves a little more preparation to make. It’s not so much that I want to prolong the date as this standing rule I have where I don’t like to spend money on food I can easily make at home.
If the cafe serves food, I am probably ordering a savory crepe or a burger, something that is a little more intricate and requires a little more time to prepare. It’s not so much that I want to prolong the date as this standing rule I have where I don’t like to spend money on food I can easily make at home.
So, for example, I don’t go to the deli and order a tuna sandwich, but I will order something that involves cured Italian meats, fresh mozzarella, and maybe sundried tomatoes because I am less likely to have those things on hand.
3. When books are being incessantly talked about all over social media (i.e. When Dimple Met Rishi, Strange the Dreamer, The Hate U Give) do you feel obligated to read it, even if it is not your typical reading genre?
No, I don’t feel obligated to read a book. It may cause me to put it on my Goodreads shelf so I remember it, but I need space between hype and reading a book to really figure out if I actually enjoy it, or if I am just riding a wave of hype. Often when I make up my mind to read a hyped book I have to shut down my intake of critique, especially if it’s not my typical genre, just because I don’t want to be influenced.
4. You get home from work/school. What is your typical routine like?
I work from home, so usually, I am home when most people are clocking out, but my typical routine is to go downstairs feed my dog and cook dinner.
Then maybe I check my email once more depending on what I may have been working on. Then I will typically read or blog a bit and then watch some television. Since it’s the summer now, it’s mostly Netflix.
5. Tell me a secret! ( I pinky promise I won’t blabber it off to anyone!)
Sorry, some things I just keep close to my chest. Plus, I spent two years reviewing Pretty Little Liars, that theme song is ingrained.
6. Besides being a book addict what other hobbies define and direct your life? (don’t lie, we all know, as book bloggers, that books have come to define us)
Really books and blogging seem to be what really define my life as of late. I knit on occasion. I haven’t picked up my needles in over a month, but I keep meaning to get back to it, and I cook or bake.
7. What’s your favorite classic novel and why?
First, how do you define classic? Because if we go super old school, 19th Century, I have to say Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte because I love how it follows a single woman from childhood into adulthood, and I don’t think there’s ever really an attempt to sugar coat her struggles until the end.
More contemporary, my favorite classic is We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. This book I love because it came to me at a time when I was kind of sick of romance and I just wanted to read about something that didn’t have a romantic plot to it. So, this book came to me and it was about sisters. It satisfied a desire and I really just liked the complicated relationship displayed in the book.
8. How do you feel about ‘assigned reading’ in the education system? (be brief, one could go on forever here)
So many thoughts. One of my many points is that I think assigned reading is important, but I think it should also be mandatory that teachers have a working understanding of the texts they are teaching. I once assisted in the classroom where the teacher has assigned a book and had no idea one of the main characters died at the end.
I think a large portion of why this comes about is because so many schools teach to the test, and they can’t get to some of the deeper issues that some children’s books offer.
9. What’s your favorite season and why?
I like all the seasons, but I think my favorite is fall, particularly days where I can get by with a sweater coat and a pair of knee-high boots. Plus I love the autumn colors and doing things like apple picking.
10. If you could live in any fictional universe which would it be?
I feel like I’ve read so many dystopias lately where I am just saying”Good god no!” that I have to give you my basic answer of Hogwarts. Because, who doesn’t want to go to Hogwarts? It’s Hogwarts!
And if I can’t go to Hogwarts, I need a man in a blue box to come find me! (Yes, I am talking about Doctor Who!)
11. If you could control any element (fire, water, air, etc) which would it be?
I think water would be the most likely element I would control. I used to like to swim when I was younger, and I’ve got a growing fondness for the ocean. I also think that light-bending would be really cool! Is light an element? Or just a really cool skill.
So that’s the end of the fifth edition of The Sunshine Blogger Award. Let me know what you think of my answers in the comments below.
And now because I play by the rules I have to nominate eleven more bloggers.
Questions for My Nominees
1. When you wake up in the morning what is the first thing that pops into your head?
2. How would you react if all the books around you suddenly started talking?
3. What is your favorite book cover ever?
4. Have you ever dressed up like a character from your favorite book? What was the occasion and who did you go as?
5. You’ve found a bookish genie who only grants bookish wishes. What would your three wishes be? (Remember, your wording is important!)
6. What does your ideal Saturday afternoon look like?
7. What are your thoughts on readathons? Have you ever tried one? How did you do?
8. If you could travel back in time to an earlier point in your life, and give yourself three books, which books would you bring and why?
9. Speaking of time travel, if given the opportunity to go on a way trip to any time period (past or present) where would you go, and why?
10. What is the one song you absolutely cannot get enough of right now?
11. Do you DNF books? If so, what quality makes you decide to DNF the book? If you don’t, then why do you decide you need to finish it?
Kim @ By Hook or By Book
Holly @ Dressed to Read
Danielle @ Pretty Mess Reading
Sofii @ A Book. A Thought.
Angharad @ Two Book Thieves
Saii @ Literary Hues
Giorgiana @ Awesome Books Today
Toni-Emma @ Books & Bloom
Bethan @ The Fictional Wanderer
Hayley @ Fangirl Fury
Rebecca @ Obviously Books