I am super behind on tags and reviews. I was nominated for this over six months ago, and I am just now getting around to posting it.
I was tagged by Sarah @ Reviews and Readathons! Thank you so much for the nomination Sarah!
Since her questions focus a lot on blogging, books, and summer, so its kind of perfect to post this right now.
- Thank the person who nominated you in a blog post and link back to their blog.
- Answer the eleven questions sent by the person who nominated you.
- Nominate eleven new blogs to receive the award and write them eleven new questions.
- List the rules and display the Sunshine Blogger Award logo in your post and/or your blog.
1. What’s your favorite summer activity?
One of my favorite activities in the summer is strawberry picking. It’s something I can only do for about a month or so out of the year depending on weather conditions. I love making my own strawberry preserves, and I am actually really looking forward to it this year.
Beyond that, I like walking and hiking. I’ve just started doing more hiking and you’ll be surprised how beautiful some of the state parks are.
2. What blogging advice do you wish someone would’ve given you when you started out?
I think that the biggest key is consistency, something that I’ve been completely failing at lately. That and tagging your posts so they are likely to show up if someone googles for a review.
3. What’s your favorite book to read by the pool on a sunny day?
Usually, it’s whatever I’ve been dying to read on my bookshelf. Nowadays it’s probably a digital galley because when I am by a pool it’s usually so windy.
The last time I was at a pool with a paperback was the first time I tried to read Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng, and I had to fight to keep the pages from flopping around.
4. What’s the most positive thing that’s happened to you as a result of starting your blog?
One thing I think I will always look back on, is when Elizabeth Wein sent me a tweet and said that she loved the concept behind my Book Style post for Code Name Verity.
I enjoyed the audiobook so much that I really wanted to create an outfit inspired by all the layers of story there were, and the elements of life as an SOE spy in World War II, while keeping the 1940s style in the main outfit. It was a bit moment for me when she said that she really loved the consideration I put into the style.
I am actually trying to assemble this outfit in real life, so far I have the shoes and the airplane necklace.
5. What’s your favorite ice cream?
The local creamery here makes this delicious ice cream called Elvis’ Dream. It banana with peanut butter, and chocolate. It sounds so revolting if you don’t like those things but I think they’re delicious.
But my dad just started working at another creamery, that is turning out some pretty awesome ice cream flavors, so they may have a run for their money.
6. On a rainy day, what’s your favorite thing to do?
When it rains I typically stay inside and work on blog posts, or read. If I am not doing that, I may be baking or cooking dinner. I can get really into recipes that involve a lot of prep like chopping five cups of cabbage, so sometimes that can eat an hour. (Not the cabbage chopping, but prep as a whole.)
7. What’s one goal you have for your blog for the future?
I hope for my blog to be a place where people can be entertained, and possibly discover their next great read. I get into why I started my blog in Question 10, so I feel like this might be a bit of an extension of that.
8. What’s your favorite summer-y drink (whether spiked or no)?
I make a wicked mojito. I grow my own mint in a little herb garden, where I also have chives and thyme. I debate buying a lime tree and trying to raise it indoors, but I don’t think I am that ambitious.
9. What is one positive thing you hope your blog accomplishes?
I hope it bring attention to some of the books out there that don’t end up with a lot with hype.
A focus of mine has also been independent bookstores and how we can support them. I am fortunate enough to have one, and although I’ve been on a book buying ban this year, I like to support them.
10. Why did you start your blog?
I wanted motivation to keep reading, and I also wanted to keep writing, so I started my blog as a way to do both of those things, and kind of feed my muse a bit. At the time, I just felt like I wasn’t doing a lot of writing in my own voice, and I wanted to get back to that. I was hoping that if I could write a few reviews, and be a little flip like I am in day-to-day life, I would exercise that muscle, and help someone discover some great reads.
In turn, I am discovering a bunch of amazing bloggers, who all read different things at different times, and who are very insightful about the bookish community. And I’ve loved that.
Okay, so now that I’ve answered Sarah’s questions. I am going to nominate some blogs in turn. My nominees are:
Elena @ Sweaters and Storms
Kristin @ Kristin Kraves Books
Heather @ The Sassy Book Geek
Sarah @ Between the Pages
Anna @ My Bookish Dream
Britt @ Geronimo Reads
Analee @ Book Snacks
Loreen @ Coffee and Cats
Regina @ Bookish in Bed
Amanda Lynn @ Hanging With Amanda
Taylor @ Taylor Reads Books
And here are your questions:
1. Do you do reading challenges such as the GoodReads Reading Challenge, Book Riot’s Read Harder Challenger, or a challenge hosted by a fellow blogger? Which has been your favorite and why? (Links appreciated!)
2. If your life now took the shape of the main character in the last book you read, how would you feel?
3. You’ve been given the opportunity to get a first edition of your favorite classic? Which book would you choose and why?
4. Can you think of any movie adaptation that is better than the book?
5. You can invite three guests to dinner. Your guests can be dead or alive. Who would you choose to have sitting at the table with you?
6. If you use bookmarks, do you have a favorite?
7. Do you like to use GIFs? If you do, what is your favorite one? Post it here!
8. What is one trope you can’t get enough of when it comes to books?
9. What’s in your DVR, Netflix, general to-watch queue, if you watch TV at all?
10. What’s your favorite summer fruit?
11. If you could bottle the smell of one character from a book in either a perfume or a candle, who would it be and what fragrance notes would make up the scent?